Most people in the world today have heard of AI. It is mostly associated with robots from fiction movies where the robots end up making the world a better place for humans.
Artificial intelligence has been growing exponentially in the past decade. Most software and hardware are now intelligent. Think about it, machines can learn from different experiences to provide viable solutions and, perform human-like tasks. AI can vary from a simple facial recognition to driving a car or even speech recognition.
Hence, Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a tool for getting machines to work and behave like humans. It includes behaviors associated with human intelligence like learning, reasoning, and, problem-solving.
However, AI continues to evolve every day making it smarter, better, and even faster. The most dominant fields of AI include Natural Language Processing, Gaming, Speech Recognition, Expert Systems, and Intelligent Robots.
Applications Using Artificial Intelligence Today
- Siri – It is a virtual assistant for Apple devices that uses voice recognition. Siri is based on natural language processing so you can have a conversational interface to give requests and machine learning to be able to predict behavior. Siri is built to understand the user’s preferences over time to personalize the results. It will do all tasks for you like to make calls, send texts, set reminders without having to lift a finger. Learn more about Siri
- Microsoft Cortana -A virtual assistant for Windows 10 devices that also uses voice recognition. Cortana will help you manage your calendar, schedule meetings, manage lists, open apps on your PC, and maneuver through the settings. It is designed to understand the user’s preferences over time by understanding the voice to give more accurate results. Learn more about Microsoft Cortana
- Tesla – It uses natural language processing voice commands that interpret your request and translate it into actions. It allows you to issue commands without using specific words that are typically used in most voice assistants. Most features in Tesla are managed by the touch screen with exception of the driving-related commands. It also adds the self-driving features which enable it to get smarter and adaptive. We all need to own a Tesla. Learn more about Tesla
- Amazon’s Alexa – She was the first significant virtual assistant in the market that later led to the development of Siri, Cortana, and Google Assistant. She is a voice-controlled virtual assistant developed by Amazon. Its ability to decipher speech is mind-blowing since she controls your smart home and engages in services to keep you organized and entertained. Alexa being an Amazon software becomes your shopper. She is a cloud-based virtual assistant so you can access her from any device as long as there is a stable internet connection. Learn more about Alexa
- Netflix – It uses AI to help personalize their recommendation area. It also uses machine learning to shape their catalog and also learn the characteristics of the most successful content to the viewer. This will help improve the viewer’s experience. Netflix team innovates new ideas and designs through machine learning and test them before implementation. This helps them optimize the app and give what the user needs. However, the least viewed movies will always go unnoticed. Learn more about Netflix
Pros of Artificial Intelligence
- It decreases the workload. It minimizes the routine tasks and monotonous work by offering digital assistance. Unlike humans, AI will not get tired. AIs can work for long hours without getting tired, bored, or distracted. They will take up extra work like data mining to provide the best solutions. Augmentation of human work in AIs bypasses the speed and quality of work giving better results, analysis, and solutions to humans.
- They are rational. They use logic-based reasoning that intelligently interprets human knowledge. By logical, they use a formula that gives the most suitable solution or answer.
- Error-free. Algorithms reduced chances of errors significantly thus ensuring a high level of correctness. Examples: There are so many accidents that happen daily in the world and, some places have been marked as black spots. So, imagine an AI that notifies the driver before reaching a black spot? This could help alert the driver and also prevent accidents from happening.
- Improved decision making. Humanity is prone to poor decision making especially with factors like fatigue, distraction, stress, emotions among others. An adequately programmed AI will make the best decision since it will calculate the risks and outcomes then advise on the best decision.
Cons of Artificial Intelligence
- Expensive. AIs are used across the various field like medicine, engineering among others. Getting a predefined AI which will also cater for the changing needs can be quite expensive.
- Humans can never be replicated. Regardless of how “smart” a machine is it can not equate to a human. In unfamiliar situations, machines tend to come up with incorrect results while humans will do what best based on the odds and risks.
- Unemployment. As much as AIs are good, they render people jobless. Machines are replacing humans so most organizations are opting to adopt AIs to cut down on cost.